MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Shooting victims retrace steps at Route 91 concert crime scene

In this Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2017, file photo, personal belongings and debris litters the Route 91 Harvest festival grounds across the street from the Mandalay Bay resort and casino in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File)

It was a day of high emotion as two shooting survivors returned to the Route 91 concert venue.

Athena Castilla attended Route 91 with her sister Andrea, and her boyfriend, Shane Armstrong.

Andrea's name is on one of the crosses at the Welcome to Las Vegas sign.

She was struck by one of the bullets and died the night of Oct. 1.

RELATED | Attorneys given access to Route 91 festival grounds to collect evidence

In addition to retracing the steps of survivors, attorneys for a number of the victims brought a team of mapping experts.

"So that we can eventually prepare a 3-D model of the concert back to the night that it happened," says attorney Craig Eiland. "So we can place where each of our clients were."

Legal teams are focusing on whether or not concert promoter Live Nation, and venue owner MGM, had adequate plans to get people to safety in the event of an emergency.

"People were trampling down fences -- anything they could do to get out," says attorney Catherine Lombardo, who represents several victims from Riverside County, Calif.

RELATED | 1 October investigation: What we know so far

On Monday, a judge signed off on a permanent order to require all the crime scenes from that night to be preserved. The attorneys will have access to festival grounds that had been left untouched since the mass shooting.

Attorneys have until sunset Tuesday to complete their onsite investigation.

It's expected that Route 91 concert vendors, who have been unable to retrieve property since the shooting, will be allowed into the venue on Wednesday.

Trending