MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Distribution of the Las Vegas victims' fund will be complex, lawyer says

The high-profile attorney helping with the distribution of the Las Vegas victims’ fund said it’s one of the most complex cases he’s worked on, considering the number of victims across the world. (KSNV)

The high-profile attorney helping with the distribution of the Las Vegas victims’ fund said it’s one of the most complex cases he’s worked on, considering the number of victims across the world.

More than $15 million has been raised to help the victims and families of the Route 91 Harvest Festival massacre on the Las Vegas Strip.

Right now, the plan is to disperse money based on death and hospitalizations – but that could change with future drafts of the plan.

RELATED | With three-day EMERGE event delayed, Brooklyn Bowl hosts benefit concert

The earliest victims could see money from the fund is March.

Attorney Ken Feinberg has helped distribute victim money after the tragedies in Orlando and 9/11.

Feinberg said the process and structure for distribution in Las Vegas is “exactly like the other programs. It tracks the Boston Marathon fund, the Orlando Pulse Nightclub fund.”

The difference comes in the amount of money raised and the sheer number of victims in each tragedy.

Boston raised $61 million. Orlando raised $30 million. Las Vegas has raised $15 million so far.

RELATED | Las Vegas shooting lawsuits stack up with 14 more filed

However, the number of Las Vegas victims far surpasses other similar tragedies – 58 killed and more than 500 others were injured in the Oct. 1 shooting, with victims from all over the world.

“You have to ask how many physical injuries resulted in hospitalizations? That may be the limit in eligibility if you don’t have more money, I don’t know,” Feinberg said.

Town hall meetings are scheduled for Nov. 28 to hash out concerns and ideas about how to distribute the money.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending