MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Marriott Grand Chateau evacuated after sound of fire mistaken for gunshots

A fire truck sits outside the Marriott Grand Chateau in Las Vegas after a fire broke out near a laundry chute on Tuesday, June 12, 2018. (Christy Wilcox | KSNV)

Guests at the Marriott Grand Chateau were evacuated on Tuesday morning after a person called the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department claiming that they heard gunfire going off inside the building.

The initial reports were mistaken, however, and it turned out that a fire had broken out inside the building at around 8:50 a.m.

Ed Kinney, vice president for corporate affairs and communications at Marriott Vacation Club, said there was a small fire in the trash chute area of the resort, and that the building was evacuated as a precaution.

Guests were coming back into the building as of 10:20 a.m., Kinney said.

In a statement, Clark County Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Buchanan said crews arrived to find light smoke in the building and a fire that was out in the laundry chute.

Two people were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation, and one person was being evaluated for minor burns, according to Buchanan.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending