MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

#MeToo fallout: Nearly 300 Batali restaurant workers in Las Vegas will be out of work

Sexual abuse allegations surfaced against celebrity chef Mario Batali in December. Come July, three of his Las Vegas restaurants will close. (KSNV file)

Nearly 300 Las Vegas restaurant workers will be out of a job come late July as part of the #MeToo movement.

Celebrity chef Mario Batali's company announced Friday that it will close three restaurants on July 27.

Workers of Carnevino Italian Steakhouse, B&B Ristorante and Otto Enoteca e Pizzeria -- all located in The Venetian and Palazzo -- were told of the decision in a letter Friday from B&B Hospitality Group partner Joe Bastianich.

Batali has been the target of allegations of sexual misconduct dating back several years.

A B&B Hospitality Group spokesman told News 3 that 298 employees will be affected by the closures.

"The restaurants are doing well, but the decision was up to the Sands," the spokesman said. "The Sands decided it needed to separate from Mario. This had been in the works for some time since the December allegations against Mario and was not a result of Sunday's '60 Minutes' story."

New allegations against Batali arose in the "60 Minutes" story broadcast Sunday.

B&B plans to develop other restaurants in Las Vegas, but it will take more than the 60 days before the three close, the spokesman said.

“These restaurants have continued to succeed, and they are a tribute to every one of you who works in them and brings great dining experiences to our guests,” Bastianich’s letter to his Las Vegas employees reads. “Unfortunately, our partner in these restaurants, Las Vegas Sands Corp., has decided to end our relationship.”

Bastianich is in Las Vegas Friday to speak to employees. His spokesman said he will help workers transition to other positions.

Las Vegas Sands Corporation issued a statement Friday.

“We would like to thank the team members of B&B Restaurant Group for their dedication and many contributions to The Venetian and The Palazzo. We appreciate the hard work and energy of director of operations Zach Allen, Chef/Culinary Director Nicole Brisson and the rest of this team. At this time, there are no other plans for the space,” the statement said.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending