MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Portable generators help Veterans Village residents stay put after electrical fire

Residents deal with a fire Sunday, July 16, 2017, at Veterans Village, 1150 Las Vegas Blvd. South, in Las Vegas. (Chad Graves/KSNV)

1:03 P.M. UPDATE:

Portable generators have been put in place and power has been restored at Veterans Village. The residents will stay in place for now. Fremont school will be on standby for now, said the American red Cross.

12:45 P.M. UPDATE: About 60 Veterans Village residents are being transported by RTC bus to be housed at Fremont Middle School.

The wiring that burned belongs to Veterans Village, not NV Energy. The repairs will have to be inspected before the village can be occupied, said Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

A donated portable generator may be able to provide enough power for other Veterans Village residents.

ORIGINAL STORY:

A Sunday morning fire in underground electrical wiring is causing issues related to lack of power for about 120 residents of Veterans Village.

The veterans, some of them disabled and some on oxygen, need to find a place to live for an undetermined period of time.

"We are working with the city and other agencies to try and find a suitable building for about 60 people," said Frank Rutkowski, spokesman for the local chapter of the American Red Cross. "It's tough to find such a building and that number may go up or down."

The number of 122 displaced came from Arnold Stalk, president of Veterans Village. He told a News 3 photographer that about 50 dogs have also been displaced.

The fire occurred about 8:35 a.m. near 1150 Las Vegas Boulevard South, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue information officer Tim Szymanski.

NV Energy owns the equipment involved in the fire.

It's unknown if repairs could take hours or days.

"Our troubleshooter is still investigating so I don't have any additional information," NV Energy spokeswoman Jennifer Schuricht stated in a text about 11 a.m.

Trending