UNLV Police: Female student kidnapped and forced to perform sexual act
LAS VEGAS (KSNV News3LV) —
The UNLV Police Department is investigating a female student being kidnapped and forced to perform a sexual act.
The incident took place Friday morning between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m.
UNLV Police says a student parked her vehicle on the second floor of the parking garage. As she was getting items out of her vehicle she was approached by an African-American man, armed with a gun. The suspect forced the student back into her vehicle and made her drive to an area off Katie Street, just east of Cambridge Street where he forced her to perform a sexual act on him. The student was able to gain possession of the gun and left the vehicle.
The suspect also left the area on foot. He is described as an African American man, with blonde dreadlocks and was last seen wearing a dark blue hooded sweatshirt with a white logo on the front and blue jeans.
UNLV Police says they are increasing patrols and their overall presence on the campus until further notice. Police officers will be authorized to work additional hours beyond shift. Security officers will be patrolling all campus parking garages.
At the request of the UNLV Police Chief, CSN Police have authorized four of their police officers to assist in increasing police presence on the UNLV campus.
This matter is under investigation by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and the UNLV Department of Police Services. If you have any information related to this incident contact UNLV Police Services immediately at (702) 895-3668.
University Police reminds students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant at all times and take the following actions to help ensure their own safety:
- Be aware of your surroundings and travel in pairs or groups whenever possible.
- Pre-program the number for University Police in your cell phone for use in an emergency in order to expedite your call: (702) 895-3669. Calls to 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone go to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, which are forwarded to the UNLV Police Services Emergency Communications & Dispatch Center.
- Download UNLV's new RebelAFE mobile safety app, which allows you to directly call the UNLV Police Department Emergency Communications Center on your smartphone. Download the app through iTunes, the Google Play Store, or on the department's RebelSAFE page.
- Request a campus security escort 24 hours a day by calling UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.
- To learn more Crime Prevention Tips visit https://www.unlv.edu/police/tips.