OptumRx is a pharmacy care services company that manages prescription drug benefits on behalf of more than 65 million Americans. The 400 people that work in Las Vegas for OptumRx and its specialty pharmacy BriovaRx work hard to ensure that people have affordable access to the prescription drugs they need.
It’s estimated that three out of four Americans don’t take their medication as directed. That can lead to serious consequences including more trips to the doctor, emergency room visits and even death. 1 There are many reasons why this can happen:
- People may forget, they may not be convinced the drug is working or they may have difficulty taking it.
Patients with specialty conditions face unique challenges. Their medication schedule tends to be more complex and often require injections. They may also have special storage and handling rules for their drugs.
OptumRx members can pick up their prescriptions in a retail pharmacy but we also do home delivery. More people are moving to home delivery because it’s convenient with busy schedules.
- We also help people understand why, how and when to take their prescription.
- This is especially important for people who take specialty drugs for conditions such as hepatitis C, rheumatoid arthritis or multiple sclerosis.
- These medications require more instruction, and research shows that people learn more and remember better using teaching methods that include practical, hands-on exercises.
- Because of this, OptumRx’s specialty pharmacy, BriovaRx, is one of the first pharmacies to provide access to a pharmacist through video consultation in the privacy of their home on any type of electronic device. The pharmacist:
- Provides patients with direct, personal contact throughout the course of their treatment
- Reviews supplies and assists with assembling any devices
- Educates patients about the drug
- Discusses ways to manage side effects
- Provides injection training with on-the-spot-feedback for proper technique, and
- Provides support and encouragement
In everything we do OptumRx takes a “whole person approach” to a person’s care. It’s not just about prescriptions. Our technology allows us to link and view an individual’s medical data, lab and pharmacy information to ensure they’re getting the care they need at the right time and place. This improves outcomes and lowers medical costs.
When it comes to your prescriptions, listen to your doctor and pharmacist and take medications as prescribed. If you have questions - ask your doctor or pharmacist, they are there to help.
For more information visit OptumRx.com