Family: Tom Petty died from accidental drug overdose

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers perform at British Summertime, Hyde Park, London Featuring: Tom Petty Where: London, United Kingdom When: 09 Jul 2017 Credit:

The results fromTom Petty's autopsy show the 66-year-old singer died as a result of an accidental drug overdose.

After receiving a report from the Los Angeles Coroner's Office, Tom Petty's family released a statement on Friday revealing that his death was the result of taking "a variety of medications" to treat a number of conditions including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

"We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident," Dana and Adria Petty wrote.

The Petty family acknowledged that the late rock icon's use of prescription opioids may "spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis," and welcomes it.

"We hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications," the family wrote.

According to a report from TMZ, the coroner found a number of prescription pain medications and other pharmaceuticals in his system in additional to Fentanyl patches. TMZ said the coroner found oxycodone (Oxycontin), temazepam (Restoril), alprazolam (Xanax), citalopram (Celexa), acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

The rock legend suffered a full cardiac arrest on October 2, 2017. He was rushed to the UCLA Santa Monica Hospital. Petty had just finished up a tour in Los Angeles the week before he died.

Petty sold more than 80 million records worldwide making him one of the best selling musicians of all time. He was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off