1 October shooting suspect had at least seven cell phones and mobile devices
LAS VEGAS (KSNV) —
Within hours of the Route 91 massacre on Oct. 1, Las Vegas police obtained 14 search warrants connected to Stephen Paddock.
News 3 obtained copies of what isn’t currently under seal and had them reviewed by retired LVMPD detective Phil Ramos.
The warrants gave detectives sweeping authority to examine the last year of Stephen Paddock’s life, starting with Mandalay Bay hotel rooms 32-135, and 32-134.
“This gives them permission to search every single square inch of that hotel room,” said Ramos.
Other warrants allowed detectives to seize electronic information from at least seven cell phones, and electronic devices, connected to Stephen Paddock.
Police were also given broad permission to collect physical items they believed to be related to Paddock’s cause of death.
They also received permission to collect email, text messages, pictures, and internet search data from Oct. 1, 2016, to Oct. 1, 2017.
“There’s going to be volumes and volumes of information. You think about every text message, and every email he sent. Every phone call," said Ramos.
News 3 and other media have filed a petition to unseal the search warrant records, in an effort to make public what was obtained from the search warrants.
Without a criminal trial, media attorneys say it’s the only way the public can decide if the government’s response was lawful and effective.
A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Jan 16, 2018, before Judge Elissa Cadish.