LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — At least 12 arrests have been made so far, with 11 made in Clark County, as more than 80 percent of the state's backlogged rape kits get sent for testing, according to the Nevada attorney general's office.
In a statement released Thursday, Adam Laxalt's office said 6,367 of the 7,645 untested kits had been sent for testing as of June 30.
Of those, 4,871 kits have had testing completed, with 466 DNA matches identified and 12 arrests made by local law enforcement -- 11 in Clark County and one in Reno.
According to the announcement, 4,499 of the completed kits were from Southern Nevada.
The figures come as the Attorney General's office submits a required report to the Nevada Legislature. Las Vegas Metropolitan Police expect the remaining 690 kits to be shipped for testing by April next year, the report states.
"Behind each untested sexual assault kit is a survivor–many of whom have waited decades for answers from law enforcement," Laxalt said in a statement.