MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Family of four hospitalized after exposure to carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (MGN)

A family of four was hospitalized overnight following exposure to carbon monoxide in their home.

According to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, firefighters found the victims in different areas of the house and the carbon monoxide was produced by an outside cooking device being used in the home.

Fire dispatchers first received a call around 2:17 a.m. Thursday near the intersection of Vegas Drive and Decatur Boulevard after reports of someone sick inside the house.

Upon arrival, firefighters found one person in the living room and three others in bedrooms in the one-story home. All were semi-conscious and had to be rescued by firefighters.

Once they entered the home, firefighters used air monitoring equipment which detected high amounts of poisonous carbon monoxide gas. Once inside, the meter was all the way to the end, indicating life-threatening conditions.

The four victims -- consisting of two adults and two teens -- were taken outside and administered oxygen before being transported to the hospital in four separate ambulances.

The occupants of the home told firefighters that they were using a charcoal grill in the living room for cooking around 7 p.m. Wednesday night. During the night, all four complained of headaches and feeling ill, which led them to call 911.

Firefighters would like to remind the public that while using outdoor cooking devices in the home is not uncommon in Las Vegas, the combination can be deadly, as it is an extreme fire hazard and produces a deadly gas.

Many devices that use charcoal, wood, or other solid fuels, or gas like propane, butane, or natural gas, all produce carbon monoxide gas.

Carbon monoxide is also known as the "silent killer" because it is odorless, invisible, and tasteless.

All homes should have a carbon monoxide alarm, with one for each level of the house.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending