LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — On Jan. 12, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced changes to his COVID-19 vaccination playbook, it came one day after Las Vegas-based attorney Sigal Chattah filed her most recent lawsuit.
"Why wouldn't we target the 65 and older demographic, rather than by profession. By profession it doesn't make sense," said Chattah.
She’s the same attorney who fought the state's COVID-19 mandate restricting church occupancy, the 9th Circuit ruling in her favor, reversing the governor's directive mandating events be capped at 50 people.
Chattah believes the governor is wrong in allowing certain selected employees, such as law clerks and government workers to be vaccinated, while our vulnerable seniors, with the highest co-morbidity rates, still have not.
RELATED | COVID-19 vaccination center at Encore Las Vegas now open to eligible Nevadans
"If they do get sick, they are more likely to die from the disease," she said.
The lawsuit, she says, has been filed as a class-action, and directly references CDC guidelines which call for seniors 65 and over to receive priority over other groups.
"This age group is being discriminated against, and there is no basis for this discrimination, other than simply political, or preferential treatment," she said.
News 3 meantime obtained a copy of a memo sent to CCSD employees on Friday saying they would be eligible as "Frontline Community Support."
RELATED | Expert: 'This is the beginning of the end' of COVID
"Nevada's allocation continues to be low and that is why it is so important that we prioritize who can be vaccinated," said Shannon Bennett, a member of the governor immunization team, at that same January 12th, press conference.
But Chattah argues, this too isn't exactly accurate as the latest figures from the CDC show Nevada has received more than 211,000 doses from the federal government, but so far has only administered.83,674 doses.