Release of Massachusetts gaming report on Steve Wynn on hold
LAS VEGAS (KSNV) —
It's remarkable to think in the space of a year, Steve Wynn has nothing to do with the resort that still bears his name.
Last January, reports surfaced Wynn sexually assaulted employees -- charges he denied, but charges that reverberate still.
The latest skirmish happened Thursday in a Las Vegas courtroom, where Steve Wynn is suing Massachusetts gaming officials from releasing what he claims is confidential information in their investigation into the allegations.
Those allegations forced him to resign in February.
In Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez' courtroom, this morning sat two tables of attorneys: one for Steve Wynn, and the other for Wynn Resorts, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission and its Director of Investigations, Karen Wells.
Steve Wynn claims elements of the Massachusetts investigation contain material covered by attorney-client privilege.
"They want to chastise us for trying to invade all these protective privileges that they have, apparently not caring about Mr. Wynn's privileges," his attorney, Colby Williams said before the judge.
On the other side sits Wynn Resorts and the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, both wanting to move forward on the licensing of Encore Boston Harbor, the $2.5 billion almost carbon-copy of what sits on the Las Vegas Strip.
“Well, definitely Encore Boston Harbor is an important project not only for Wynn Resorts but also for the state of Massachusetts,” says Dave Schwartz, the Director of UNLV’s Center for Gaming Research.
Last week, Judge Gonzales temporarily blocked Massachusetts from releasing its investigation, which stops its gaming commission from talking about the findings into what Steve Wynn allegedly did, and what the company knew.
At stake: a license to operate. Massachusetts officials say the delay is holding up thousands of jobs.
So back in court, this fight is about what goes public and what stays secret.
Wynn Resorts says the allegations are behind it. New executives have come. Old executives have left.
“They're going forward and they definitely have restructured the board and think they see themselves as a new company,” Schwartz told News 3.
A company that says it learned lessons and deserves a chance at a foothold on the east coast.
Judge Gonzalez has scheduled another hearing for January 4.
Steve Wynn and Wynn Resorts face two investigations - one in Massachusetts and another by Nevada gaming authorities, which has yet to be released.