Las Vegas Fire & Rescue offers tips for staying warm amid freeze warning

MGN Online

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue is sharing tips for staying warm as the valley receives a freeze warning for Monday night and Tuesday morning.

The National Weather Service in Las Vegas issued the warning, which is in effect from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.

According to a statement from Fire & Rescue, residents looking to keep warm overnight should use caution when using a furnace.

Furnaces being used for the first time in several months might burn off dirt and dust, creating a burning odor and possible even a light haze, which is normal. If smoke is dark gray or black, fire officials say you should leave the house and call 911.

Those using fireplaces or burning stoves should make sure the flue is open and unobstructed.

Fire officials also warn that space heaters should be used for temporary heating, and people should not attach them to extension cords or leave them plugged in while turned off.

Do not use a barbecue or oven for heating, as fire officials say they can produce deadly amounts of carbon monoxide.

Make sure all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms are working as well.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off